Thursday, June 11, 2009

a thought




Yesterday I went to a book signing of a friend and one of my very favorite authors, Brandon Sanderson. His latest book Warbreaker came out on Tuesday. Since he offered the book as a free PDF on his website before it was published (with approval from his publisher Tor), I had already read it, loved it, and have been eagerly awaiting its publication with new scenes included. (More about the book, including where to buy it here. If you're interested in buying it online, here is the Amazon link.) If you haven't heard of Brandon, you probably soon will. He is writing the concluding two novels of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, at the request of Jordan's widow. Yeah, for you fellow nerds who know what I'm talking about, that's a big deal.

As I left the signing, freshly marked book in hand, I got to thinking. Why can't the world of music be more like the world of books? In the world of literature, more emphasis is placed on the work, and less on the author. In the music business, it's all about the artist...and the songs are secondary. Why is that? Food for thought...and discussion.

2 comments:

Carina said...

It's a huge deal, and I'm hugely excited.


(I'm such a nerd.)

Debra Fotheringham said...

I just barely noticed that AzĂșcar commented on my blog like months ago. I'm so nervous. What should I say?