Wednesday, August 1, 2007

bonjour from paris

I'm in Paris...and I love it here. I'm not one to like big cities. Usually they just overwhelm me and make me anxious. Not Paris. There's something different about it. Paris, je t'aime.

My show in Germany was fantastic! I want to give a huge thank you to all of the people who came out to the show, despite the fact that many of them couldn't understand a word I was saying. (Thanks to my good friend Matthias for translating!) Fortunately, music is the universal language. I hope I said something that was meaningful to you.

I love Europe. With a few language courses and some time, I could definitely see myself living here. There's a different pace of life that I find refreshing. Now, I'll be honest. So far I'm not a big fan of German food. Every possible liquid is carbonated...including water. German ice cream, however, is another story. I could eat hazelnut ice cream until the day I die. Germany itself is lovely. I was a little surprised to see so much farmland. I guess I had ideas of what Europe should look like and it surprised me...pleasantly.

I'm in Paris for another couple days, hitting all the spots one must hit when in Paris. So far I've been to all the places I really wanted to see, including the cathedral that I've wanted to visit since I was sixteen, Saint Chappelle. It was so worth it, better than I had ever imagined it would be. Went to Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower, La Basilique de Sacre Coeur, Versailles. Today's adventure is the Louvre...and scouting out some excellent pastries. There's a creperie stand right outside my hotel. I've had a crepe sucre for breakfast every day. If I could, I would transport this little stand back home and sit it right outside my house. Yum. But now I need some suggestions from you knowing Parisians or Paris regulars...where are some great places to eat?

No comments: